Core plug replacement

Hi!

I'm new to the forum, although not to the register, and have embarked upon the job of getting a 1981 2.0 TR7 back on the road. It has good bodywork for the year, but the engine is siezed. I have a replacement engine which I have removed the head from and, following advice in restoration manuals, am about to replace the core plugs. On p69 of his book 'How to Restore Triumph TR7 and 8' Roger Williams advises me 'with the convex side outward, firmly hammer the first new plug in place' That doesn't sound right to me. Certainly the core plugs present have their concave sides facing out. Can anybody please advise? Apologies in advance if I am displaying excess stupidity. Any general advice on core plug fitting would also be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Kevin

The convex side outward is correct I think, if convex means that the central part of the core plug is nearer to you than the circumference of it.

The seating for the core plug should be very clean and free from rust, paint, grease.  If the plug is too wide, hammering has no effect because you can't flatten the plug to some degree as is necessary. Older core plugs are just a disk, more modern ones have a rim on the circumference of about 1/4", perpendicular to the bottom.

It's safer to use a drift to hammer it in place : a drift with a flat end and at least 1/2" diameter and a sealing product is necessary (epoxy). If the plugs are not wheeping, and you are not intending to clean  the area behind the plugs, you can rather leave them alone I think.

No Rogers book is correct, convex side outwards is correct, I was one of the proof readers so....!

I always make sure the plug & the recess  are immaculately clean and put a smear of araldite around them before putting them in, as they don't always spread tight enough to be water tight. And yes you can remove them if needed.

Jim

Thank you for the time taken on these responses:)

However, can I just clarify one last time? Let's say the core plug is basically cup shaped, then you hammer the rim of the cup into the core plug hole, with the bottom of the cup towards you? How do you know when to stop hammering?

Sorry to be so stupid, but the existing core plugs look as if they have been hammered in bottom first, so to speak.

cheers,

Kevin

If you have cup core plugs, place the plug in the engine, with the bottom TOWARDS THE ENGINE : this takes no brute force, perhaps you can push them in with your hands.

Once in place, you give the plug a couple of blows with a wide drift. As for the shape after the hammering: I can only speak for the disk core plugs : they will still be convex, but in a lesser degree.