Pinking TR7 2.0 DHC

Hi folks,

Recent lurker-first time poster ;-)

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere...

My '7 has developed a "pinking habit", that's to say I've had it since the day I bought it (last year-and my first:)) , and for various reasons, and the fact that the useage has been very low so far I haven't had time to do any more than spin the distributor a little bit .

This improved things, but not by much. The car is running on 95 unleaded, and is totally original. Am I doing damage? Do I need a pro to tweak the carbs and timing? What about electronic ignition? Tickover is smooth, and the power seems ok, although I have no term of reference for this :P The pinking is fairly severe though (usual symptoms, throughout the rev range, and more pronounced under load)

Thanks in advance

Ryan

Cork, Ireland

1977 2.0 FHC Brooklands Green (77C1043)

Hello Ryan.

I'd suggest you invest in a cheap timing strobe light and set it yourself.  Not too tricky.  Once you are happy the timing is right, if there are still problems it could be time to adjust the carbs. Not just yet though.  When was the car last serviced?  It will be worth replacing (and correctly gapping) the points & condensor if you are not fitting an electronic ignition.  Or you could buy a Newtronics electronic iginition kit for around £60-70 instead.  Also replace the rotor arm, and the dizzy cap and HT leads if they don't look in good condition.  Check the plugs and clean or replace too.

If there are still problems then now it's time to tune the carbs.

Hope this helps,

Malcolm.

Thanks for the speedy reply Malcolm, the car is recently serviced (in terms of mileage at least-chronologically about 10 months!) I haven't played with the points and such yet, but that'll be the first step.
Guest pimento76

Hi Ryan

I invested in a Gunson "Colourtune" to check the mixture, as mine was too rich . Its simple but effective to get the mixture right.

Turned out I had the wrong needles fitted, something worth checking before doing anything else!