Steering column bushes

I'm refurbing a used steering column that I bought on eBay. I have done this task before (on a 1974) and I was surprised to find not two but three bushes. There was the usual top and bottom bushes with the bumps that pop through the holes in the outer tube, and right at the top of the column was a third bush that has no bumps since there are no holes at that location but it is pretty much the same size and shape as the other two. The repair kit I bought only includes the two bushes with bumps so I'm wondering what the deal is. I actually like the idea of this extra bush but I dont see it listed on any supplier web site and it aint shown in the book..

Another odd thing, the nut that secures the steering wheel boss is much smaller than what I recall. The column was in very good shape and was painted glossy black. I wonder if this was a late model mod ?.

Stan

Update... on closer examination the extra bush is a standard bush that has been de-dimpled. I thought it was odd that this bush had very little wear but I now see that the two standard bearings are worn out. So it looks like someone had attempted to compensate for steering column slop by sliding this extra (new) bush in from the top.

Stan