Speedo/Tach restoration

Another winter project is to restore some used bezels for the speedo and tach. These are the 1974 chromed variety. I pulled the bezels off (they need stripping and re-chroming) and found that the glass is sort of bonded to the bezel by some hard setting black goop that fills the bezel. The glass can be coerced from this with no problem and the black stuff is brittle and can be prised out easily. The inside of the bezel has patches of corrosion so this stuff has to come out...

My question is what to replace it with ?. I dont know that the hard setting goop solves any mechamical problem so would plain old silicone sealant be sufficient to reassemble ?

Stan

I hadn't got around to checking the sizes. Pretty sure that 2" is correct for the small gauges, but it would be worth measuring the larger ones and giving them a call.

I'm not sure how I would describe the original profile ( a V ?). How much does it matter anyway?

Bryan

The main thing for me would be the right external and internal diameter and enough depth to accomodate the insert that fits up against the glass (black on the external face, white on the internal face) and provides a mask for the speedo/tach dials. I guess it would also have to mechanically lock into the housing via those tabs unless there was another way to fit it..

Stan

They are 5 inch outside diameter. I cant see some generic bezel doing the job so I'm going to go ahead and get these restored and re-chromed. I've called around it it sounds like a $40.00 cost to do them both, I'll report back how that turns out.

Stan