“LOST & FOUND” - A SUCCESS STORY!

A success story:

I am to be reunited with my very first TR, a 1973 TR6, which I rebuilt in 1984/5 and owned until 1990. Having placed a post in “Whatever happened to?” on the Forum without success, I decided to respond to Steve Redway’s call for articles in Traction’s new section  “Lost & Found”.

In mid-December I received a call from Clive Manvers of Manvers Triumph, informing me he sold OPC in 2001 to a chap by the name of Tony Brain. He (Clive), only recognised OPC from my reference to Linda Lusardi in TRaction 199! Clive gave me his address in Surbiton, Surrey and also his e-mail address. So I wrote to Tony and e-mailed him, but received no reply.

Aimlessly looking through the classic car websites after Christmas, I saw a private add for OPC 310L placed by Tony Brain (now living in Maidenhead, Berkshire), so I phoned the number and e-mailed, but still no reply. Oh well I thought, perhaps he’s not an enthusiast and not interested in meeting up, or had sold OPC on?

Anyway, I’ve just taken a call from Tony Brain who was on holiday over Christmas and New Year and had actually moved from Surbiton and changed his e-mail address. OPC has not been sold and Tony is very keen to meet up.  

We arranged to meet Saturday week for a photo session with OPC and my 58 3A: TRK 639 and hopefully a drive of OPC, I can’t wait!

Hopefully the photos will appear in a future TRaction along with a covering story.

Many thanks to Steve Redway and his idea for “Lost & Found” and particularly Clive Manvers for taking the time and trouble to call me.

There’s a romantic notion driving me to find the asking price. Oh I wish I could, but that may be unlikely - now, where does my son keep his piggy bank?

Regards

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Meet OPC, she still looks great after 15 years!

The current owner sent me this photo and OPC hasn't changed a bit - even the grommet in the os/f wing is still there where I didn't realize that I had bought an American front wing. That is, until I fitted the front bumper after the respray - Doooh!

Weather permitting, I'm hoping to meet up tomorrow and take OPC for a spin and some photos of OPC together with TRK.

• 3 months later...

Hi all

Having found and meet up with the current owner of OPC (Tony Brain) in January after a very long search and written an article on the experience (TRaction 201), I have received good news from Tony by e-mail:

["Thanks for the copy of TR action.  I thought the article was very good.  You have now inspired me to do something with OPC.  I am not going to sell her and have decided to tart her up a bit.  Moss and Rimmer Bros are doing well out of me at the moment as I am buying bits and pieces for her.  A new mohair hood is probably going to be my biggest expense but should set her off a treat."]

I'm now "selling” the TR Register to Tony, so perhaps we'll have another member.

Cheers

Andrew