big end bolts - stretch or wired ?

Assembling the TR4A's engine at the moment. I have a set of new stretch bolts, the old ones not being tabbed, but have holes for locking wire (but no wires when dismantled).

This morning I called at our local garage to borrow their piston ring compressor, taking with me a con-rod & piston, and the engineer owner saw the old big end bolts and said "oooh, those are nice bolts, bet they're better quality than those stretch bolts - I'd re-use them if I were you"

Anyone agree or disagree ? The stretch bolts came from David Manners, incidentally, but presumably they're all from the same source.

Thanks

Thanks, Neil. Well,it's a Californian import so anything could have happened ! I find US workshops excellent at keeping American cars original but, as regards imports, anything goes !

Well, I want to crack on and complete the bottom end today & get the sump on, so I'll agree with you and use the new stretchies.

Thanks, Neil. Well,it's a Californian import so anything could have happened ! I find US workshops excellent at keeping American cars original but, as regards imports, anything goes !

Well, I want to crack on and complete the bottom end today & get the sump on, so I'll agree with you and use the new stretchies.

Use Lock tight also ;)http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID200007 item 10

Edited by ntc
Guest Mick RichardsChange...

Agree with Neil, I'm quite happy reusing existing "old world" high tensile bolts, just complete the assemble with the Loctite shown. New fangled stretch bolts are fine on engines they were designed for (my Stag for example) .

Mick Richards