Front Spring Insulator Sizes

Hi

I'm in the process of replacing upper/lower bushes, uprated slightly lowered springs and shocks. The rubber spring insulators as fitted are a thin one at the top and a thicker one at the bottom as stated in the brown book. I have bought replacement ones but they are the same top & bottom, all the usual suspects state the same part number for both.

Were the thick and thin original as mentioned in the brown book.?

Should I keep the thick one at the bottom or just go with what's sold now?

I appreciate you comments :)

FWIW, Kevin, if you are using the T R Shop collars they are the same thickness each end and they are fine in my car the last 3 years on the front.

On the rears, you might need the slightly thicker super pro ones fron Moss at the top only to stop the spring dropping out in spirited driving on rough surfaces.

So you got the front apart OK, then. How were the creaking noises?

Hi David

Thanks for the info, will go with ones I have got then.

Yes it all came apart nicely with my home made spring compressor.

Edited by Kevo_6

Pleased to hear it. Take it slowly on the way back up and make sure the spring pan and lower wishbone holes line up by using threaded rod in the holes until you can get the bolts/studs and nuts on.

Do not allow the spring pan to bend (hoping hat you can get it back into shape as you tighten up) because I tried that and it would not straighten up afterwards.

Also, watch the threaded rod threads on your compressing device as they will wear under the strain (unless they're high tensile) and if it starts to slip, get it unwound gently and replace the threaded rod. If it suddenly gives way it could take your head off!

Kevo

I do not approve of home made spring compressors.As std rubber they are the same size alas nla as far as I know? a helping hand,before you start jack the hub up to take the part strain this will let you start to fit the pan strait

David & Neil

Many thanks for your advice and comments, all duly noted and very much appreciated. I feel quite confident now on reassemble.

As for the spring compressor I made it out of 16 mm high tensile studding with a castellated nut, stud drilled to accept a R-Clip with a lock nut for back up at the top, 2 nuts at the bottom with a short length of 25 mm steel tube to bring the nuts down enough to clear everything with a 75 mm x 50 mm x 12 mm plate made to fit between the shock studs and fit nicely on the spring plate and plenty of grease.