windscreen and surround

Hello Everybody,

My TR almost ready to send to the blaster.

I only have to remove the windscreen and the chrome strip

I have read in a magazine i must use a rope to cut the glass from the frame  

But here is my question ?

How can i remove the chrome strip without destroying it?

Hope somebody can help me

Greetings Herman  :o

But here is my question

How can i remove the chrome strip without destroying it?

Hope somebody can help me

Greetings Herman  :o

With difficulty, the original process was to heat seal the screen, the seal has an element inside that is connected to a power supply (not sure of the voltage) and the seal went all gooey and stuck it all together, remove the trim/scuttle panel and you should see two wires poking out from the bottom left hand corner of the screen if you have these you have the old type seal (then you need to find a windscreen shop with the old tooling), mine had gone so dry & brittle I literally lifted the screen out with seal & trim intact, then it was easy to remove the trim, if you have the new urethane sealant then your only option is to cut the screen out with wire, being very careful not to damage the trim, and lift the whole lot out in one, then you can start removing the trim. Easiest option is too look around for a good set of trims!!

I managed to carefully remove the trim by teasing it away from the original seal. As Craig says this gets so hard (if it is original) that it literally breaks. A trick i was told of, but haven't tried is to pill the wire ends out to cut most of the way through an original seal. Once the trim was off, then my screen could be all but lifted out. The old seal remains can then be scraped off the glass & surround. A neat tip, if you want a neat black line round the glass inner instead of a wavy edge due to the sealant, is to mask up the windscreen and paint on a black surround using blackboard paint. This should only be big enough to give a nice edge just visible behind the inner & outer trim as it is too easily damaged if scraped at after fitting. To refit I used modern windscreen bonding adhesive and set the straightened out trim into that. However if i did it again i would use a modern windscreen surround rubber, such as that used on a Ford Sierra. This is apparently available by the roll and will get rid of the only piece of brightwork on the car as well as negating the need to not damage it during removal!

Cheers

Andy