TR8 Starter motor.

Could any TR7 V8 owners help with a question I have with the installation of my Rover engine please.

I have just bought a new starter motor for the Rover engine. On inspection the solenoid is mounted not at the bottom of the starter motor, as original, but at the side!

My question is, what is the clearance between the body of the standard starter motor and the chassis leg?

Once I know this dimension I can work out whether I keep this new starter motor or send it back.

Thanks in anticipation.

Jenand40

Doesn't sound like the correct starter motor.If you can, buy the later Range Rover one which is much smaller and half the weight,the benefit of this one is - no clearance or heat problems if fitting tubular manifolds.

John

If this is a Prestolite (i think that's how it is spelt) it fits no problem in a Tr8 with tubular manifolds. In actual fact i found there was more useful clearance because the starter is so much smaller. Also it is easier to get to the connections etc. The starter spins much faster and seems to be more powerful as well as being cheaper than a Lucas one. The last Lucas one i bought lasted less than a year so never again!

Cheers.

JCC and andrewt, thanks for your replies.

It is a Prestolite and is much smaller, in length and diameter, than the original starter.

andrewt - Can you please confirm that your solenoid is mounted on the side of the starter, and that there is still clearance to the chassis leg?

I am building a new 4.0 litre engine and have not reached the point of installation yet, so have no idea of clearances.

Thanks.

Yes it is out the side & i had the same concerns, but there is plenty of clearance with my engine in the Tr8 position. Obviously moving it further back would reduce this. It actually increases the clearance to the manifolds i use so heat soak to the starter should be reduced.

Cheers

Andy