Steering Column Split LHD

This deserves a separate post.

I have stripped the steering down, whilst on the road the steering never felt right although it wasn't really crook. I took the top plate off and the uppermost bearing cage wasn't sitting as it should. Having stripped the whole thing down I found a few half balls in the bottom of the housing, I don't think I have ever seen halved ball bearings before! Anyway parts ordered and with luck all could be right when the parts come. I say could be because I have found that the lower column with the worm has been welded up (before my time), the weld being about 1" - 2" below the spline.

Anyone with half an interest in Formula 1 will know that this can be "quite" dangerous, although not very pretty, the weld appears to be ok and if I hadn't stripped it down I wouldn't know about it. I have put it between centers on a lathe and the run out is negligible. If I could get a new column and worm I would but all websites state "quote me" or words to that effect.

Are they still available? I know the worm is, but thats not the bit I need.

Again, according to the suppliers I can get an exchange box, but they either need a serviceable item or they will actually just rebuild mine, using the old column I guess.

Am I worrying about nowt?

Your comments please.

Cheers

Jasper

It sounds as if a PO has cut down a long shaft and then welded the stub with the splines on to repair a worn out worm. If the weld is good and been done properly then it should be OK. (Get it crack tested.) FWIW the repro cages for the balls arent very good so if your original is salvageable then re-use it with the new balls.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart, many thanks, hadn't thought of that, you are probably right.

One of the cages is ok, will put that at the back.

Cheers

Jasper