Rear axle TR3 A - Girling type

Guest Yo17906

Reassembling my rear axle, I wonder how wide should be the gap between the 'Hub bearing housing" and the "Hub" itself. I assume that this gap can be changed due to the "Hub driving key" that is fitted in the "Axle shaft".

Thanks a lot in advance,

Yo

I think this gap can't be adjusted, the key is only there to prevent the axle shaft from rotating in the hub. This gap doesn't matter for the sealing of the hub housing.

When tightening the hub housing to the axle tub, you have to adjust the free play of the axle shaft if necessary, by removing of adding shims between housing and axle tube. When you do this at one side, the other side is adjusted automatically. I set it by feeling the play when I'm fastening the 6 bolts. I don't know the exact play, when the free play just disappears when the bolts are tightened, it should be ok.

Marvmul is right, the gap isn't adjustable. I'm just assembling a Girling axle to replace my Lockheed, which is whining like a banshee and doing a grand job of rustproofing the underbody of my TR2 with EP90.

The manual specifies an end-float of 4-6thou but make sure that the amount of shims used on each end of the axle are the same, in order to centralise the thrust block in the centre of the diff.

Some years ago I built a press to dismantle the halfshafts on my '55 Landrover. This removed the hubs from the Girling halfshafts easily ( once they are off the car ) so if anyone needs theirs removed just bring 'em over. ( Shropshire )