registering my car?

Keith

If it's been imported then it needs to be registered with DVLA. The direct.gov.uk website has the info you need. Try the link http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_4022583. That should answer most of your questions. If you talk to your local DVLA office (probably Manchester is nearest to Wirral) they should be able to advise on getting a non-transferrable age-related VRM.

Regards

TerryB

Keith, when I did it it was fairly painless but I didn't need to take the car along then. From what I hear it is most likely that they will want to see the car these days, just to check the docs you produce match the VIN numbers on the car. You need to insure it anyway to enable them to issue the historic road tax disc. You should be provided with the none transferable age related reg number (usually an unused Scottish number) and tax disc on the day. When I went I produced a "Statemnet of Origin" letter from the BMIHT the original of which they kept. If you only have the Heritage Certificate it may be worth checking with them first if they need to keep the original. If so you may wish to get a "statement of Origin" letter from BMIHT instead of handing over the Heritage Cert. The letter cost £10 but that was several years ago now. They kept the original C&E 386 customs form also, so if you are keeping a history file for the car I would copy that too before you go so at least you will have a copy to retain. As Terry suggest above it would be worth talking to them first as possibly each local office operates slightly differently. The Registration Document follows from Swansea a week or so later. It is worth sourcing your preferred registration number maker now, so as soon as you have been given the number you can send off your order for the plates, as I'm sure you will want to drive it as soon as possible.

It's a great feeling screwing those number plates on for the first time.

Congratulations. The fun is about to start!