Relining block

Guest hodgie

Guest hodgie

Guys, thanks for the replies below to my 4.0 litre question. I always have the alternative of boring and linering my 3.5 block. In the interests of exploring every option (and price) I have looked into this and have been quoted £80.00 per pot for a rebore + cost of liners/pistons. This seems exceedingly steep? What's a fair price for this job? + Anyone know any probs with relinering as oppose dto buying new short motor?

Ta again

Yes 800-900 pounds isn't unusual. It's incredibly labour intensive as the boring bar has to make many more passes than for a rebore. Also the interference fit of the liners is critical hence heating the block and cooling the liners to fit them. Cheapest I know of is Cheesman Engineering in Buckinghamshire.

Jim

Hodgie,

Been there, very expensive I paid £750 all in , hold  out for a a factory 3.9 try looking in Land Rover mags,the 4x4 boys are always doing diesel conversions selling there v8's at reasonable prices.  

Hope this helps

John

The only problem is that many 3.9s are ripped out because of cracked block syndrome & the only way to check is with a pressure test. Hence the reason my stayed 3.5!

I've said it before but

http://www.v-8.org.uk/forum/default.asp has a vast amount of info on V8s and their maybe someone on there with a 3.9 to sell.

Jim

Guest hodgie

Cheers for the input guys,

I spend my life looking through 4x4 mags and although 6 months ago there were plenty there appears to be adry spell on 3.9's !! Always the way when you want something.

Guess I should just bite the bullet and shell out.