Fuel guage/sender unit

Hi guys, experience needed please:

Full tank of fuel, guage reads quarter, so one assumes sender unit needs replacing, yes?

Can this be done without removing the whole tank?

I haven't looked underneath the boot cards to see how much room there actually is.

Thoughts please?

I think if you touch together the two connectors that go to the sender unit with the ignition on that the gauge should read max - so that should confirm whether its the sender or gauge thats faulty.

Dont think you can get the sender out without removing the tank really, you might be able to move it forwards just enough but you might be better draining and removing the tank and working really carefully to avoid getting and dirt or flakes of rust dropping in the tank when you remove the sender.

Some people fit the cork gaskets dry, others use a sealer but I think theres a debate about suitability of some sealers.

Is your temperature gauge reading correctly?, if not, then it's highly likely your 10V regulator is faulty (this is mounted on the back of your speedo). It's a simple job to check the voltage with a meter...it should have 12V in and 10V out.

Cheers

Tony

Now funny you should say that Tony, the temp guage only sits just over the cold mark. I've shorted this out & it goes all the way over.

I'll check the speedo, is it easy to remove this regulator Tony?

Appreciate your help.

Now funny you should say that Tony, the temp guage only sits just over the cold mark. I've shorted this out & it goes all the way over.

I'll check the speedo, is it easy to remove this regulator Tony?

Appreciate your help.

Once you have the speedo out it's a doddle. Only one screw holds it to the back of the speed. I would recommend fitting an electronic one as it's more reliable, I believe Moss sell them and a few others.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by Tony Millward