TR4 front suspension bushes

Guest Tiggers4

Guest Tiggers4

I need to renew (at least) the lower front wishbone bushes at their mounting points to the chassis on my TR4.  I get some nasty clunking on braking at low speeds and I can see some lateral movement around the wishbone bushes.

From what I can see, the wishbone to chassis mounts are OK (hopefully).

Can anyone suggest the best type of bushes to fit here?  I could go for standard replacements from Moss, etc. but I've also heard about these poly bushes as an alternative.  I don't want to spend shed-loads on bits, but then again don't want to be doing the job again in 12 months time for the next MoT!  I do less than 3000 miles a year and its all road use, but I do like to get the back out and drift it round roundabouts with a bit of opposite lock occaisionally for fun!

Graham

I know this is slightly off target, but we just rebushed the front of our 6, with polyurethane (note not Polybush) bushes from Moss, they were remarkably cheap, and easy to fit-for once a nice easy job, last weekend, we rebushed Carls TR4 rear springs with genuine Polybushes and new regular bushes to the front eyes, this was also pretty easy (barring snapped split pins and road springs that try and bite your hands off!).

Essentially my opinion is, if Moss are local and have some, buy theirs, if not =, order in Polybush-buy try for some discount-my firm gets 50% of list, so retail direct ought to get 25-30% if you try hard enough, if you Pm me, I can give you our company name to use, we don't have a credit account-just pay by card, and have them "delivered direct" to the customer!

Rob.

if it's the front inner brushes (mounted on the chassis leg), then there isn't a poly bush option for the "4" (so i was told when i rebuilt my chassis anyway). I've used the plastic + metal sleeve type with the large washers at either end. The upper inner bushes can be poly bushed and appear to work well. They're self lubricating to a degree and don't degrade like the metal and rubber type. I think they were about £4 each (2 per side).

cheers

Ade