overdrive installation question

Hello all,

My 73 decided to shear its clutch taper pin a couple of months ago so while the transmission was out to replace all of the clutch stuff, i added a j type overdrive to the original 4 speed box [renewed its bearings etc while apart]. Upon reinstallation the drive shaft is a much tighter fit then before. Have others experienced this?

I was able to unbolt the drive shaft originally and pull it rearward a half inch or so [comressing the sliding spline] but with the o/d it is fully compressed and then just barely can be coerced into place and bolted up to the od output flange. Need to add that the o/d was originally a volvo unit and a volvo flange but appears to be exactly like the tr o/d excepting it is a 27% o/d vs the 25. Case is the same.

Thanks

Only thing I can think of could be the length of the Volvo flange as the propshaft is the same for all models of TR with or without O/Drive.

Stuart.

Did the engine come out too when you pulled the gearbox ?

A bit unlikely but worth checking the engine is sitting correctly on its front engine mounts and hasn't some how been installed a half inch rewards.

More likely the Volvo output shaft is a half inch longer than a TR unit I am no expert though.

Is the TR flange held on with a nut or a bolt ?

If a bolt then you might be able to lop a bit off the end of the output shaft depending how much thread there is.

If a nut then can you shorten the TR output flange a bit ?

cheers Ben

Supposedly there are 3 types of volvo flanges and only one that is rumoured to be identical to the TR flange--that is the one that is on the o/d unit--it could be longer than the TR unit but i do not have an actual tr flange to measure it against; only the non o/d flange that was previoulsy fitted. I havent owned a tr with overdrive in a number of years and although have rebuilt a number of j-types in the past it never ocurred to me to measure a flange.

I did not pull the engine but removed the box from the interior of the car. It will work as it is but i am a bit concerned that the driveshaft cannot really compress any further if necessary. Certainly not as necessary with a fixed final drive as opposed to floating one but nevertheless would like the comfort of a correct drive shaft configuration.

Hello all,

My 73 decided to shear its clutch taper pin a couple of months ago so while the transmission was out to replace all of the clutch stuff, i added a j type overdrive to the original 4 speed box [renewed its bearings etc while apart]. Upon reinstallation the drive shaft is a much tighter fit then before. Have others experienced this?

I was able to unbolt the drive shaft originally and pull it rearward a half inch or so [comressing the sliding spline] but with the o/d it is fully compressed and then just barely can be coerced into place and bolted up to the od output flange. Need to add that the o/d was originally a volvo unit and a volvo flange but appears to be exactly like the tr o/d excepting it is a 27% o/d vs the 25. Case is the same.

Thanks

heres a picture of a new flange.also the recess on the end where prop shaft fits in is 60mm dia.

saloon ones dont fit a tr propshaft. dont know about volvo

richard