Just arrived back from the Spa classic - fantastic weekend. However, just outside Dunquerke my 3A developed a horrible noise, quickly diagnosed as a knackered water pump bearing. What is the opinion on the best option - to try to find an engineering company to replace the bearing or to buy a new water pump. If the answer is a new one what supplier?

Regards, Derek.

In the first 80,350 miles from new, I had to replace my fuel pump on my 1958 TR3A twice. Since I had purchased a new repro water pump, I had a machine shop rebuild my original water pump using the new parts from the newest pump. But I had him make a new stainless steel centershaft and used the original brass vane (turbine) because the new pump had a vane made of cast iron and the outside diameter had too much clearance. I felt that by using the new pump alone, that the reduced water flow rate would cause overheating.

I have driven 105,000 miles since 1990 when the re-built pump with stainless shaft was installed and I have never had any iussues. Most water pumps go because the center shaft is mild steel and when it rusts, the diameter will be reduced and it will leak and then the seal and bearings will be destroyed.

Thanks Don,

I've since removed the pump and found that the pulley is also knackered. It looks as if a previous owner has fitted it in spite of there only being a small amount left of the groove which the Woodruf key fits into. I suspect that it was the pulley running out of true that caused the bearing to be damaged. Hopefully a new pump & pulley should arrive tomorrow and I will probably get a new bearing fitted to the original pump so I have a spare. The shaft seems OK.

Regards, Derek.

When you get your new pump I should make sure that the impellor clearance is correct....I have seen different impellors...short and long vane....I am certain that some of the overheating issues experienced by some people are down to a mis match of impellor to casing.....it caught me out a few years ago. Too much clearance means that the impellor just thrashes about and pumps very little. Since matching the parts I've had no problems...even with a non standard engine.

Dick.