top ball joint

Guest Andrew Hall

Guest Andrew Hall

So I went for the MOT . Didn't pass because of a leak on a break pipe union, no problem to fix, and the steering being too tight. Now the whole of the front end is either new or recon. I disconnected the track rod ends no tightness in the rack, took out the trunnion bolt, trunnions were nice and free, which only leaves the top ball joint. They are a bit stiff but are well greased also the spare one I have is no different. I can't think of any way to loosen the whole thing up or is just a question of time until it frees itself up.

Thanks

Andy

Perhaps the trunnions are stiffer when the weight of the car is on them? Can you steer the wheels when the rack rod ends are disconnected? What do you think of the steering stiffness yourself?

If the trunnions are stiff, I think differential EP oil will give the best lubrication, but often this oil will leak out of the trunnions.

Guest Andrew Hall
With the rack disconnected the s/wheel will spin from lock to lock with very light finger pressure, the trunnions are lubed with ep diff oil think its 90. There is resistance from both ball joints and some pressure is needed to turn both v/links from lock to lock.With the car jacked up wheels on etc the s/wheel still spins lock to lock without much effort its only when you try to turn the steering via the road wheels it appears stiff.
Perhaps the man at the MOT station has to agree that nothing is wrong with the steering then? I think it is normal that the top ball joints are a bit stiff.
Guest Andrew Hall

Took it back this morning after puting about 30 miles on the clock the same mot man thought it was still a bit tight but as long as I was happy with it he would pass it. However he did mention that he was a bit concerned that the steering wouldn't self centre!!!!!!!!!

I arrest my case, he was testing a TR6 next, I wish him luck.

Anyway I'm of to put some miles on the clock while its still sunny. Still not got a hood, next week hopefully

Andy