Just bought another TR7

Well, I decided to add another TR7 to the family, now making three - the other 2 currently on the road.

Joining the 1980 3.5l TR7V8 DHC (BMW Orient Blue) and 1976 2.0l TR7 FHC (Java Green), I have added a 1978 3.9l TR7V8 FHC rally car. I'm new to the rally car scene but done a lot of research over the last couple of years and had actually bought the 1976 FHC to convert, but it turned out a really good early 4-speed car so decided not to convert it and look for something more suitable.

A few details for those interested:

1978 FHC in Tahiti blue (no sunroof)

Rover 3.5 V8 bored to just over 3.9 (not sure what power output yet)

Edelbrock Performer Manifold

Holly 390 cfm carb.

Remote oil filter

Oil cooler

Sump guard

Salisbury 4HA rear axle with Quaife LSD and Panhard rod

Ford replacement struts with Gaz Gold coil over shocks

Adjustable rose jointed suspension links

Anti-dive kit

Poly bushes

4-pot front calipers (Alcon) and vented, grooved discs and Pagid RS5 pads

2-pot rear calipers (Girling) with Rix hydraulic handbrake (adding mechanical option for MOT) and Pagid RS5 pads

Standard gearbox

Minilite 7x13 wheels

Wheel arch extensions

Full roll cage inc. front suspension turret linked

OMP Competition seats

TRS 5-point harness

Quick release steering wheel

Perspex side (sliding) and rear windows

Fibreglass bonnet and boot

Battery (aircraft type) in boot

Twin fire extinguishers

External extinguisher and battery cut-out t-bar pulls (these need connecting)

Fixed headlights (motors removed for weight saving)

Adding (currently) quad spot lights (Lucas 20-20 and H3)

Cheers, Paul.

Update: April 5th.

This week I have been making a few changes and improvements. The first was to work out how to get a mechanical handbrake on the car so it can go through an MOT. The existing hydraulic handbrake mechanism is a Rix model and found that they have an add-on to give a pair of cables that apply at the same time as the hydraulics. I also found that Wilwood do some small spot calipers so next job is to fashion a pair of brackets for the rear discs, mount them and connect up.

Also this week I have cut out a rectangular hole in the bumper and cover, and covered with some black mesh and moved the number plate to the front panel. This is to improve air flow into the engine bay. I still need to cut out and move the front horizontal strengthening bar to improve the air flow further.

This week will be mounting and wiring the front Lucas 20-20 spot lights and steady bars, and then cleaning and undersealing.

Edited by Paul Heritage2