56 TR3 Exhaust and Intake Manifolds

Was just working on my exhaust system. I can't get the stud that holds the two manifolds together installed. The two holes in the respective manifolds are not aligning. I've enlarged the hole in the exhaust manifold a bit to increase clearance but it is still not close to fitting. Both fit well against the head, I don't think that torquing the manifolds on to the block will align them as the surfaces are pretty much flush now. How critical are those two studs? Do I really need them? Any one else run into this problem? Any ideas or suggestions? Cheers, Mike

I left them out of my TR3 in 1975 and the car goes just fine today.

I guess they are there to enable a 'hot spot' between the exhaust and inlet, and perhaps to ease assy on the production track.

Cheers

Peter W

Thanks for the input Peter. Just bugs me that the holes don't align. Cheers, Mike

I left them out of my TR3 in 1975 and the car goes just fine today.

I guess they are there to enable a 'hot spot' between the exhaust and inlet, and perhaps to ease assy on the production track.

Cheers

Peter W