Pump wiring upgrade

I'm rapidly approaching startup time after my rebuild.  Bosch pump and plumbing now sorted. Might as well have a look at the pump wiring.

Does anyone know what's required to upgrade the wiring for a bosch fuel pump, perhaps a diagram even ?

I seem to remember it being mentioned previously but I haven't been able to find it.

Regards

Steve

Try the search function of this forum. I think Andy Moltu may have posted a link to what you need (certainly did post regarding suitable Bosch pumps; not sure about the diagram).

John

Steve, very briefly, you need to bring a 25amp+ cable from a fused supply off the battery (fit extra fuse box or in-line fuse-holder), route through the inside of the vehicle to the boot, to supply a 30amp relay inside the boot.   Control the relay switching by using the original pump supply which comes through the Ignition and Inertia switches, you could always add either a security keyed switch or hidden switch as an anti-theft measure.   If you need a relay or further details let me know.

Excuse my ignorance but a circuit tester is about as much as I can handle with electrics.  The  25Amp cable, is this about the same thickness as the thicker Brown wire onto the alternator ?

I've fitted a new main harness, under the N/S dash where it plugs into the rear harness, there's a white wire separate from the main loom.   I think that this is the wire to the fuel pump that would feed the relay from the ignition side, could you confirm please.

What size fuse would you recommend in an in line fuse holder ?

I'd assume a 30amp relay can be picked up from Halfords or the like ?

Thanks

Steve

What part of the country are you in Steve?  Maplin Electronics or your local motor shop would be able to supply the cable which needs to be flexible (multi cored).  The heavier the cable, the less voltage drop will occur.

Yes, the fuel pump supply cable is white, you can check this by making and breaking the Inertia switch.   Make sure you take Inertia switch apart, clean and grease (silicone is best) contacts and that the copper ring is firmly attached to the grey plastic plunger.

20amp or 30 amp.

I can let you have a brand new Lucas relay for £5 (I bought a job lot on Ebay).