Crankshaft rear oil seal

i'm going to attempt to fit a new felt Crankshaft rear oil seal to my 4A, as an easy (& cheap)option for now. Has anyone got any preferences as to which mastic to use? are there any pitfalls as to changing it with the crank in place from under the car?

Cheers

Mike

i'm going to attempt to fit a new felt Crankshaft rear oil seal to my 4A, as an easy (& cheap)option for now. Has anyone got any preferences as to which mastic to use? are there any pitfalls as to changing it with the crank in place from under the car?

You are talking about the felt straps which does seal the bearing cap?

If you have a racing flywheel then you are lucky as you can pull out the bearing cap and you can replace the two felt straps.

With the stock flywheel you have to take the gearbox out, flywheel off and then you can remove the bearing cap.

You can leave the crank in place, just clean everything thoroughly, give a drop of oil to the bearing, give a little silicone or hylomar sealer to the top plain of the cap and put it back into place.

Torque it up, soak the felt bits in Hylomar and ram it in place with a driver and hard hammer punches.

Cheers

Chris