Noisy Pump

Guest scol

Guest scol

I know there have been many previous postings on this subject and here is another. I have a 1971 150bhp car with PI. My lucas pump is getting progresively louder and now makes more noise than the Kenlowe fan! This is not helped by the coil arangement of pipework wrapped around the pump which I understand is a common mod to help cool the pump and tends to vibrate . My question is this - does the noise mean my pump is about to die. If I decide to change the pump what should I change it for? My 6 only does 2000miles a year and has not been coverted to unleaded, everything is origional and is working as it should. Apart from the fact that it can be difficult to start (could this be caused by a faulty pump?).

Simon

Simon,

I have just changed my pump from a noisy Lucas pump to a Bosch pump and am amazed at the change in the car. It starts better and the overall performance is transformed. It had been slowly deterorating I guess and I was slow in noticing the drop off in performance. It would be well worth changing the pumop.

regards

Andy

Simon,

Lucas pumps are bloody noisy even when working properly & unless you are actually having problems, I would stick with it. The Bosch unit can also give problems if you don't get the right one or it’s not fitted properly; + there seems to be some doubt about pump longevity even from Bosch themselves. I don’t know how competent you are when it come to things mechanical but there is a lot you can do yourself to bring the Lucas pump back to good order, read back through previous postings on the Forum & download copies of the various PI manuals.