Power figures

Guest Carlos The Jackal

Guest Carlos The Jackal

I took my freshly-engined TR to my mate's rolling road on Saturday, and wanted to share the interim figures with you to see how far out they are. It's an ex-Range Rover 4.6, bog stock internally apart from a giddier cam. Edelbrock 600 carb, Performer intake and tubular exhausts.

The Colway Formula tyres just wanted to spin on the rollers above 3000rpm, but with two of us sat on the back, it held steady at 4000rpm, at which point the rolling road gauge ran out of numbers. The figures I got were 125bhp at 2500rpm, and 192bhp at 4000 rpm.

Does that strike anyone else as not at all bad? It's going back in a week to clean up the fuelling in the mid-range, but I was pretty chuffed with that! Off to York Dragway!

Cheers!

192 hp at 4000 rpm : this is very good when at the wheels.

On the flywheel I should aim at about 225 -235 hp at 4000/'.

192 hp at 4000 rpm means a torque of about 35kgm (= 253 lb.ft I think) : this is too less on the flywheel , but a very good figure at the wheels.

The specifications of your engine seem very interesting, so I think you will get at very good figures anyway.

Guest Carlos The Jackal

Cheers for the responses, guys - I'm glad no-one burst my bubble of giddiness by saying "Is that ALL?".

Jim - it's the Piper 285, bought from RPi (very good chaps - really know their stuff). Their cam page is here for specs: => http://www.v8engines.com/engine-6a.htm. Their page says the cam's range is from 2000-6500, but with it being such a big-bore motor, there's no hesitation at all just off tickover. Most engine-builders shied away from suggesting a cam that looked on paper so peaky for a motor that their brains could only picture lugging a two-ton Range Rover full of dogs and tweed around.

On the road, it's pleasantly Jekyll and Hyde. Woofling around, changing up below 2500, it's torquey, drama-free, quiet, flexible, docile yet jolly swift thankyouverymuch. Hang on to 3000 and floor it, and it becomes far less civilised - no dramatic power steps to speak of, but stacks of grunt through to 6000 which is where I ran out of bottle and road simultaneously. And, oh - the sound!

Carlos, I have been on runs with Neil when he had the car and even with the 3.5 it was probably as quick as any other TR7 V8 (Neil is a brilliant driver though) so now it should be stunningly fast,
Guest Carlos The Jackal
The demonstration run Neil took me on when I went to view the car was quite something - all twisty roads around deepest, darkest Selby, covered in cowsh*t and hay. I know they say a little local knowledge goes a long way, but the man was scarily fast. "Respect!", as I believe the young people of today are prone to exclaim.