Lucas Ammeter testing

I've installed a new wiring harness and I'm now trying all the electrics to see if everything is working.  I have a problem with no power to the ignition switch. I've started at the ammeter, it has two thick connectors, one brown, one brown with white stripe and a smaller brown with white stripe.  I have power to the ammeter from the Brown wire but across the other side of the gauge (to the two brown and white striped wires) there's no power.  I would assume that the power should go through the gauge and make the two striped wires live, then this in turn would power the ignition switch.

I also have a spare brown wire near the alternator thats always live, the alternator connection looks fine and this wire doesn't appear on my original harness, it looks surplus to requirements but I'm not sure.

Is the ammeter faulty ?

Does anyone know how to test it ?

Any suggestions on the spare wire  ?

Thanks

Steve Usher

It does sound like a faulty ammeter, should have power on the other terminal.

To test.

Connect in series with a 12volt bulb across your battery. One side of the a/meter to one teminal of the battery, the other a/meter terminal to the bulb. Then the other terminal of the bulb to the other terminal of the battery. The bulb should light up.

Divide the wattage of the bulb by 12 and the result will be the current in amps which should register on the a/meter.