V8 subframe swap.

Guest letstorque

Guest letstorque

Hi Everyone. Has anyone done this swap before?

Im removing the S&S subframe from my V8 and replacing it with an original one. Why you may ask?. well, my other half finds it very hard on her bad shoulder to drive the car without PAS so im gonna put back the set up I had when it was a 2 litre. Thats the easy bit.

I need to know if the mounting points on the subframe are in the same place as the S&S item. I know the engine sits higher and can cause clearance problems but thats ok cos im running a Webber 500. My main worry is if they are further back or further forward which will mean re mounting the gearbox and a possible prop mod.

Any one......

Guest hodgie

Don't know for sure buddy, but because of the way the motor mounts in any case, you can mount for or aft of the subframe mountings on the original subframe. Aft is preferred for weight distribution if you are a racer, but  i found that mounting the engine rearwards of the subframe mounts caused the gearbox remote to touch the chassis box section running over the transmission tunnel. Mounting it for of the mounts eradicated this problem.

The prop has tons of play in it and should compensate for a number of inches travel, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Obviously use the subframe spacers to drop the unit downwards or you will run into clearance probs even with a 2" filter unless you have a very low inlet manifold. I use a modified SD1 inlet manifold and the spacers are definitely needed.

Have you considered any exhaust probs also. I don't know for sure, but I would have thought that the S&S manifolds/ downpipes are shorter as the engine is mounted lower. If you raise the engine this might cause probs with exhaust touching the bulkhead?

Hope that helps a little.

Guest letstorque

Cheers Hodgie.

The exhaust manifolds I have are from S&M but they are Rimmers Items and they are an awful fit. Im hoping the slightly higher engine mountings will solve the exhaust clearance problems.

I dont think I will need the subfame spacers because im using an Offy manifold and a lowrider K&N filter.

Glad to hear your idle is better. I was pulling my hair out over that breather set up until I accidentally stumbled upon a cure.