High Torque Starter TR6

Hi Folks

TR6 (1973) I've just fitted a high torque starter (with difficulty !!) from Rimmer. I need a little clarification on the wiring. The instructions I have received from Rimmer are ambiguous. I have raised this with them but they cannot clarify so they are clearing the matter with the manufacturers. The connections on the old starter are identical to those on the new. So why can I not connect up exactly as the old. My worry is that if I do I may damage the starter.

The instruction sheet talks of three wires. I have four. The battery supply, thick brown to the ammeter, a thin brown and all three connected to the stud terminal. The white /red tracer wire to the coil is connected to the spade terminal. The advice is tape up the tracer wire. Change the fitting on the thin brown to spade type connector. Can anyone help. Thanks Malc

The W/R wire usually comes from the ignition switch (or starter relay) to the solenoid and is the wire that carries the current to activate the solenoid when you turn the key to the "Start " position.

If you disable that wire by taping it up, I don't see how the starter will operate.

Edited by poolboy

Hi Folks

TR6 (1973) I've just fitted a high torque starter (with difficulty !!) from Rimmer. I need a little clarification on the wiring. The instructions I have received from Rimmer are ambiguous. I have raised this with them but they cannot clarify so they are clearing the matter with the manufacturers. The connections on the old starter are identical to those on the new. So why can I not connect up exactly as the old. My worry is that if I do I may damage the starter.

The instruction sheet talks of three wires. I have four. The battery supply, thick brown to the ammeter, a thin brown and all three connected to the stud terminal. The white /red tracer wire to the coil is connected to the spade terminal. The advice is tape up the tracer wire. Change the fitting on the thin brown to spade type connector. Can anyone help. Thanks Malc

all the wires are + on the starter motor so you shouldnt cause any harm.

red /white to spade terminal, all others to bolt.

Malcolm

I've got a vague memory of too many wires when I fitted one to my 73 car. It transpired that the 'spare' wire was associated with a ballast resistor and not required so it's just taped up.

Correct and the the bugger will not start ok, Malcolm there's do not fit IMHO did it come with a link lead ?