Carb Needles

Guest Karlbristol

Guest Karlbristol

Was advised to look to see which needles I had in my 2.0lt and found they are BAP.

put together some shots etc. at http://www.thamesmarketing.com/tr7/articlescarbs.htm

sent an e-mail to Moss to ask what the difference is and this is what he said:

"Karl,

From the original Triumph parts book and our TR7 catalogue the standard needle was a BDM (NZX8012).  This did not change throughout production.  We list a BAL Needle for 8 valve cars and a BAE for 16 valve cars.  The V8 will have needles with a richer profile to supply the beast with fuel.  I can only think you car has had the needles changed to increase power (which is not always the case).  Do you have an extractor manifold / K&N or any other mods?"

Anyone got any ideas ???

KarlMy Webpage

In the Haynes book 'SU Carburettors', BDM and the slightly weaker BDQ are listed as standard needles for the TR7. Perhaps BDQ is for U.S. TR7's?

In the Haynes book, the dimensions are given from basis to top of all the SU needles : about 15 diameters for each needle  : BAP is weaker(= thicker) than BDM on light trottle but much richer on full trottle (=the top/point of the needle is thinner). BAE is slightly richer than BDM over the full lenght of the needle. BAL is weaker than BAE and richer than BDM on the first half of its lenght, but even richer than BAE on full trottle. BAP is the richest on full trottle of all the needles mentioned. Hope this helps.

Guest Karlbristol

Thanks for your reply... I'd like to see this Hayes SU Manual listing... can you scan it in ?

This is a message I got last night from Kyle in Northern Ireland...

"Looks like your wee car was set up to milk every bit of horse power out of it. I'd look into getting a set of K&N filters fitted - she begging for them!  If she still runs too rich (possible I suppose) then get in touch with S&S and see what they recommend for your set up."

think he might be onto something and you're the only one who's been able to shed any light on the BAP's

thanks !

Perhaps someone has tried to make more power by using the BAP needles, but the are much too rich. It's possible that you will get a bit more power with BAE instead of the standard BDM needles, but needles that are richer than BAE are useless to make more power I think.

I can't scan the Haynes listing. The title of the manual is :'SU Carburettors'  no 299.