drilled discs and brake pads

A little story of experience for any of you out there. My front pads needed replacing, and I couldn't easily find the normal pads, so I decided to buy the green stuff pads - less brake dust and so on. Unfortunately the pins holes are oblong rather than round so you have to drill them out. OK, did that, then I found the pads are ever so slightly wider and fouled the outside edge of the disc. The discs were getting on a bit, so I decided to buy new discs and upgrade them to the drilled type. All fitted, lovely jubbly. Drove it for several days cold weather, so roof up - everything fine. However en route home one night overtaking, window down, refelective noise from the crash barrier, what was that awful noise , like a wheel bearing about to go pop ! Took the front hubs apart, looks OK, but lets replace them anyway. Did that - all OK, test drive - after 10 mins, window down past crash barrier - awful noise - oh no it's my diff, gearbox, or drive shafts  - what the hell was it ! what am I going to do now - A further 2 weeks of poking around and worry. Eventually the  answer  - the pads I had fitted had the groove down the middle and it was that, that was causing the noise as they ran over the drilled holes on the disc !! I fitted some new pads without the groove , bingo no noise.. The time span of worry was over 3 weeks..Sometimes life just gets very complicated for no reason....

Just a note of caution.

There is a supplier of 'drilled disks' who sells on ebay but who appears to be someone with a drill press and a computor.

I asked some pertinent questions about the origins of the units for sale and got no response. The advertising blurb is ambiguous or misleading.

Be safe - buy from a reputable supplier.