I,ve noticed some play in the offside trunnion of my TR3A,which can be demonstrated by levering the roadwheel upwards with a bar whilst the wheel is held just off the ground by a jack under the chassis.

If my interpretation of the diagram in the workshop manual is corrrect, the vertical link/trunnion junction on which the steering swivels is under tension, with the weight of the car effectively trying to pull the male threaded bottom of the vertical link out of the female thread in the trunnion block. If this were to happen the wheel/vertical link/upper wishbone assembly would fly up into the wheelarch since it would no longer be attached to the bottom wishbone/spring assembly.

If I am right in this assumption has anyone heard of this type of failure actually happening, and how badly worn would it need to be?

Interested to hear any thoughts on this topic,

Cheers, mike.r

Mike

If there is noticable wear in the Trunnion then it is best to change it. Trunnion/Vertical link failure is not unheard of but normally happens at low speed as this is when the parts are under most stress when turning the wheel. Having said that there are members who post on this forum who have had them let go at speed. Not a nice experience ! Better safe than sorry for a few quid

Cheers

Alan