Drawing the heat

Try an electronic tacho for the real reading . . . . :lol:

Alec

THIS is a good idea. After all it's the original tacho. Who knows where I stand when it says 5000, really?

Badfrog

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

As stated elsewhere, the final on overheating.

Following in-depth talks with TRR members and especially Alec P., I hypothesized that my HS8 might add to the heating problem. I couldn't see how as I didn't set them too lean (0.100 jets and TS needles, nice greyish exhaust) but it was worth a try.

So I fitted back my old modified HS6 SUs with RH rich needles (see photos). The pistons are radiused front and back, weight exactly the same and receive dry PTFE spray for smooth travel. The rubber band around the dashpot is an anti-vibrating device to soften piston travel inside (works nicely).

AND ... Guess what: overheating is gone, plus the engine noise is reduced. Throttle response is much less brutal although quick and efficient. Revs go up just the same.... BUT ... 5500 rpm is no longer the limit. 6000 rpm came in easily. Wow.....

I kept the 2" bored and polished manifold to maintain the better readiness in air-fuel mix.

This decrease in heating beats me, really.

Once done, I went for a longer test drive and that's when I had the weirdest breakdown ever: the steering got stuck while leaving the garage. Quick inspection: the fuel line, speedo and tacho cables were wrapped around the steering column !! I did nothing in this area for the last year, so how come? Isn't she a b***h ?

Cheers,

Badfrog,