Looking to fit a rear seat in my 4a and being scared off by the cost of one have decided

to make it myself. Does anybody know how thick the foam needs to be as I was told 2" but that

does not seem thick enough although the thicker the foam I use the higher I will need to place

the front seat belt inertia reel.

Thanks Alan.

2" is about right for a 4A seat - the pic is of a 4 and they are different I believe. Don't believe they were ever intended to be sat on anyway!

I made my own - well I used a new seat cover and recut the plywood base, bought some cut foam from a local supplier who cut round the plywood base as a template (£10), then used a heavy duty stapler to attach the seat cover. Took less than half an hour once I had the bits and had painted the base matt black. Looks better than the original (Mandy Rice-Davies .....)

....go on ....give it a try. Happy to post a photo or two if it would help

Mick

Thanks Mick

Measuring the depth seems like there is hardly any foam covering the diff housing. Did you

just have the vinyl covering the top part of the housing or is there any foam on top of

the housing. Using 12mm plyboard for base.

Cheers Alan.

That's correct, at the top of the diff housing you are basically sitting on the seat cover only.

As the foam supplier cut it all to 2" thick I had to shape the area that covers the diff housing with a kitchen knife, and as you say it shapes to nothing. (Obviously, if you use the seat base as a template you need to remember to tell them not to follow the diff housing cut out, but to cut straight across!)

I think I used 10mm marine ply, but 12mm will clearly be ok. Also originally I believe there were two brackets that fitted into a hole in the seat base, and locked onto two 'pillars' on the underseat floor to hold the seat in place, but I found the seat was a tight fit in the gap between the wheel arches and didn't bother with them - the two original one's were rust-dust anyway.

Mick