Hi all,

The headlamps keep going up and down and one is slightly slower than the other and when at some point they meet and I guess they both hit the limit switch by luck they stay up.

Any advice as to what to check or what could be wrong ??

many thanks in advance

Suggest you unplug the slower headlight unit in the engine bay (Note try this with the electrics still connected could take your fingers off been warned) and manually wind the headlight up and down to check if the headlight pod is catching at all, adjust accordingly or maybe the hinge is stiff and want re greasing.

Hope this helps.

Edited by tr7jim

Suggest you unplug the slower headlight unit in the engine bay (Note try this with the electrics still connected could take your fingers off been warned) and manually wind the headlight up and down to check if the headlight pod is catching at all, adjust accordingly or maybe the hinge is stiff and want re greasing.

Hope this helps.

Thanks TR7jim

The headlamp is only slightly slower but not much at all, was thinking maybe one hit the limit switch before other maybe the problem.

They go up and down fairly quickly though but they could do that up to 20 times before they stay up. Checked diodes and changed, check limit switches all seem fine. so where next ?

thanks again

This can have a couple of causes, firstly check that you have good earths throughout the circuit, secondly that the headlight relay is ok, less likely is the switch for the headlights itself which can deteriorate over the years, no doubt others will add their own solutions but in my 20+years of 7 and 8 ownership i have found these to be the places to start.

I had a problem with my headlights ( http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=23732

If both are acting up I can only say it must be a common component which operates both headlamps.

Could be a breakdown of headlamp circuit breaker or the headlamp switch - if lights are on but still rising & falling switch should be ok.

Is it any better with one headlight red connection disconnected so one light is in operation only ?

I had a problem with my headlights ( http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=23732

If both are acting up I can only say it must be a common component which operates both headlamps.

Could be a breakdown of headlamp circuit breaker or the headlamp switch - if lights are on but still rising & falling switch should be ok.

Is it any better with one headlight red connection disconnected so one light is in operation only ?

Hi Neil

Yes if only one is connected, it will work fine, but once both are connect they do a dance, up and down or a type off mexican wave !!.

cheers for all the help