alternator charging

I have re-wired my car and re-installed the alternator (on my 3A). The set up is like on the six. I have installed a voltmeter in stead of an ammeter. This meter is indicating 13 to 14V (green zone).Everything is working fine and the new 14 fuses are keeping ok.

But now the charging light is not going out. The alternator has always funtioned very well and I have not changed the connection at the alternator.

I also have noticed that the alternator is becoming hot and this is not caused by the exhaust. What can be wrong?

Rudi, measure the voltage at the alternator on the brown thin wire connector (spade connector/pin) with the ignition on : there should be the same voltage as on the battery. If there is a voltage with the engine running and the light stays on, then the alternator is not charging. When there is no pin for the brown thin wire, then there is an internal connection in the alternator to the field winding (the thin brown wire is for the field winding, it's not the same as the yellow/brown wire). When there is no voltage at the pin for the field winding, you can make a connection from the thick bronwn wire to this pin.

Another test : turn the ignition on and watch the voltage meter a couple of minutes, till it stops moving, perhaps at 13.5 volt. After starting the engine, the voltage should rise further by an 1/2 or 1 volt.

see my mistake and final reply on this topic in the TR3 chapter. :blues:  :cool: