bonnet cable

Guest tr7fire

Guest tr7fire

just got my hands on my first TR7. Yipee.

got it home in one piece only to snap the bonnet release cable.

Does any one have any idea how I can open the bonnet, as all haynes say is don't shut the bonnet without connecting the cable.

Hi TR7fire... Congrats on buying the best value Sports Car out there!!  If you look at the air intake found just below the windscreen at the closing edge of the bonnet, you'll see there is a mesh grill, to stop the ingress of debris.  If yours is like mine, there will be two holes drilled in this mesh, and they appear random, as they are not symetrically placed: I've been told these holes are to poke a screwdriver through to access the bonnet release catch in just such a situation: one is for Left Hand drive cars, the other Right Hand drive cars... I'd be very interested to know if it works..... Have you given M Paris details of you car yet??  He posts on this Forum as Malcolm!     Maxwell :cool:

It's a fiddle but yes you can undo the bonnet. It would help if you could look at a 7 with the bonnet open to see which way it moves but from memory on a RHD car the lever moves from right to left and you have to move the round piece in the slot with a screwdriver. It took me 20 minutes the first time and 10 seconds the second time. Make sure if the cable is broken that you get a new one thats the same. I had no end of problem with the first one I brought until eventually that broke and the one form another well known TR7 parts supplier worked first time.

Jim