What to look out for when buying a TR6...

Hello all.

I'm new to these forums so go easy  :)

I've been in love with the TR6 since a young age and am finally in a position to purchase one.  I've looked through books as to what to look out for when buying, but books can only tell you so much and I would much rather go on any info that people have experienced first hand, so....

What should I look out for before buying?  Obviously things like rust, but are there specific areas on a TR6 that are more prone that others or other cars?  I've got a vague idea from books but any advice would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, have you joined TR Register yet (if not, why not - and if you don't * off!!! - only joking).  This is one of the best (if not the best) club and you'll certainly get plenty of advice.   First of all though. I'd suggest you get along to your local group meetings, and get to know a few of the experts out there.   Take your time, check the class. ads in TR Action (you have to join TR Reg.!!) and Practical Classics and check this link

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/cgi-bin....;t=2266

and

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/cgi-bin....;t=2318

Hi Smudgeh,

Welcome to the forum and hopefully to the TR Register.

Have a look at my website (click the link). There are a few pointers on buying a TR6.

All the best in your quest.

Dave Lewis

I'm new to these forums so go easy

Hi smudgeh & welcome to the TR forum. I visit several forums, nothing to do with cars, & know exactly what you mean but you need have no fear. Unlike some, this forum has not been taken over by a few aggressive, know-it-all “smart arses” whose sole purpose in life is to slag off newbie’s for asking simple but perfectly valid questions (computer forums seem to be the worst for this!) & if anyone tried it here they would very quickly be told “where to go” by those of us who contribute on a regular basis.

Seriously, follow jonlar’s advice + look back through the forum topics for pointers, most of it has been covered before & it’s not practical  to keep repeating it all. Talk to other TR owners & get hold of a Moss catalogue, it has some very good pointers to all the weak spots & what should have been done to rectify them. If you need advice, try & post specific questions & you will almost certainly get a good response. Generalized questions are almost impossible to answer as they would just take too long. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies chaps - the main thing I'm concerned with is rust spots, as the majority of mechanical problems I can work on myself (with the help of my retired father :P).

I'll have a read through the various links/books/advice posted in reply to my original post and will post further as and when I have questions :)

Simon