Kenlowe fan wiring

I am just fitting an electric fan to my 4a and have a wiring diagram which shows a live feed to the relay( position 30 )

with an in line fuse. Can anybody tell me where is the best position to pick up this live feed as I am not sure if taking

it straight from the battery is practical. I have a thermostatic switch which has been wired to the relay and fuse box

so I am assuming I do not take the live from the fuse box.

Many thanks

Alan.

Hi Alan,

The easiest would probably be to take it from the live side of the solenoid.

Alternatively you could use terminal A1 on the control box. You're right not to take it direct from the battery as this will distort your ammeter reading (as I found out :blink: )

You might also want to give some thought to wiring the relay e.g. ignition switched or not? I've got mine set up so the fan can run on if necessary to counter any heat sink - helps hot starting.

Edited by badshead

Thanks very much for your replies.Is the wiring of the relay to allow run on a simple thing to do.

would appreciate details of how to do it as it seems a good idea.

Thanks Alan

Alan

It's just a question of whether the power supply used to switch the relay is taken from a permanent live (fan will run until thermo switch cuts out, like modern cars) or the ignition circuit (fan will stop when you cut the engine). If you want the option to run on, you could do away with the relay and route the power to the fan directly via your thermo switch. That assumes you're not using a fancy electronic thermo-switch and/or a manual overide switch, in which case you'll need to retain the relay.

Edited by badshead