Gaiters on drive shafts

Hi

I have a TR4A and when greasing underneath I discovered that one of the drive shaft gaiters was split.

Is it easy to replace? The car is up on jacks at present, without wheels.

There is a joint at the uj beside the diff. If I split this will the inner part of the shaft slide apart allowing the gaiter to be replaced.

Seems to be either a straightforward job or a very difficult one for a professional?

Appreciate any guidance before I move forward.

Incidently what would happen if the gaiter was not replaced? Presumably it is keeping a sliding joint clean?

Thanks

John

There is a joint at the uj beside the diff. If I split this will the inner part of the shaft slide apart allowing the gaiter to be replaced.

John

John,

cannot remember correctly but if you remove the four bolts from the UJ at the diff whether the shaft will drop down enough for the two flanges to pass each other. If it does then it's an easy job, there is a 'cap' where the two shafts slide together that will need removing, there is also a master spline that needs to be aligned when you reassemble, a bit of a bo**ox to do in a confined space, if I remember correctly.

The worst case scenario, if the inner flanges do not clear each other, is to pull it all out through the trailing arm and do it on the bench. I certainly do remember that it's hard to line up the master spline when feeding the outer half of the shaft through the trailing arm if you leave the inner half still connected to the diff.

Good luck......

Justin.

Thanks Justin,

I will have a close look before I start.

Possibly it would be easier to get out if the car was sitting on a ramp on its wheels, rather without wheels on stands as it is now.

Must get a drive to sunny Limerick sometime from Co Down

John