aluminum trim rings

Guest racngrn

Guest racngrn
Hello,  I am new to the registry and am seeking some restoration advice for a set of original aluminum trim rings I was able to find. My car is a 1971 and is in completely original condition. It was purchased by my dad in 1974 and was put into dry storage for 20 years when I retrieved it. The car is very nice and , due to it's originality, just plain fun to see and work on. The trim rings had some road rask so I hunted down a set on ebay a couple years ago. They are very good overall, but could use some light refinishing. Has anyone attempted that and , if so, what is the best method. Would hate to ruin them - they're very hard to come by. Many thanks.  Steve

Hi Steve and welcome to the Forum

If the trim rings you mean are the type that was fitted to the wheels of US cars I don't think there is much you can do to them on a DIY basis as the aluminium is anodised.

Ron

Guest Neil Russell

I have a set in the garage at home. They appear to be nickle plated tin or steel. (IE yellowy chrome). As previous post, they were only fitted to US cars as far as I was aware.

Personally I wouldn't use them, since the retaining springs tend to gouge into the wheel finish wfich allows them to rust after about 6 months. leave them off and use the money to buy some minilights :;):

Neil.

It sounds like you have the brushed aluminum type which is rarer than the chrome plated one. You could contact a sheet metal shop and make enquiries - probably a re-brushing would do it - if indeed they are anodized you would have to get this done afterward.

It's a nice look, especially the aluminum, and scarce even here in the States.  :;):

The set that were on my ex US car when I got it at first were definately anodised aluminium, and my own personal opinion was similar to Neils' so I took them off and flogged them!!

Ron

Steve - I concur with the opinion that they gouge the wheel finish so I didn't re-use the ones that came with mine.

Treating / re-finishing aluminium generally is not difficult, but it can be time consuming. Unless you want to get them professionally re- anodised, I would look at using a small bench grinder with polishing pads and appropriate cutting material. You could get a range of finishes from 'cleaned' to a mirror finish (depending on what you want and the time you spend on it). At all costs stay away from 'alloy wheel cleaners' (liquid sprays) available at auto parts stores.  Most contain highly corrosive ingredients and are probably partly responsble for the 'road rash' on them now.

When you have achieved the finish you want, they can be clear powdercoated  to give them the best long term protection.