Planning to change oil in gearbox and A type o/d. I had hoped to get Duckhams Hypoid 90 as I use Q20/50 in the engine but does not seem to be sold anymore? I can only get a 75/85 multigrade - will this be OK?

The manual shows gearbox and o/d each have a drain plug. Only trouble is the picture in the manual of the filler to the gear box is impossible to locate where it is - is it accessed from the gearbox tunnel inside the car? Is it a long bent neck funnel job?

Whilst I am doing the gearbox I will check the rear axle level - I understand that a drain plug is not fitted and the only way to drain it out is split open the casing which is something I won't be doing!

On a couple of occasions (only during engine breaking) it has jumped out of 2nd and 3rd gear. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

To get at the gearbox filler plug from inside the car, I made a hole in the tunnel. When not being used, it's filled with a large rubber grommet. Otherwise I think you need to give yourself plenty of room under the car and/or use one of those pump thingies garages have.

As to type of oil, there has been some discussion in this forum in the past. Do a search & see what you find. FWIW, I use Penrite 85W90 GL5.

For a treasure trove of information about the TR6 gearbox (and other stuff), surf over to the Buckeye Triumph technical articles page. Nelson Riedel (who wrote the articles) is a very helpful guy, who will likely offer some advice if you get stuck.

Regards,

John

On a couple of occasions (only during engine breaking) it has jumped out of 2nd and 3rd gear. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

You might be able to cure this for a while by renewing the selector forks, these are relatively easily changed by removing the gearbox remote, you can also check the detent springs and balls at the same time.

I fill the gearbox using an old garden pressure sprayer, just make sure its an old one, roses don't seem to thrive on gearbox oil

Ron ???

Thanks everyone. I had a look at the moss catalogue which seems to show the oil filler plug about 1/2 way up the nearside of the gearbox. Taking my car to friendly local MOT station to do it on their ramp - it pays to have your son do DoE bronze in car mechanics with them - they got some free labour, son learnt about cars and dad gets help when needed!

What about the diff oil - is it possible to suck old oil out with a flex rubber hose?