Fitting Speedo & Tacho cables

I'm reassembling the dash etc and as my replacement body is a converted US spec, and it's been a very very long time since I dismantled the original, I can't remember the route that the speedo and tacho cables take from the dash.  Can anyone help?? :(

Hi Jimmac

My speedo cable runs down the drivers side of the gearbox tunnel and is clipped to the floor edge about halfway down the tunnel to stop it flapping around, it curves up in front of the bulkhead beside the starter motor and goes through a grommet just above the heater pipes.

My rev counter cable comes from the distributor, through a grommet below the NS of the battery, over the tunnel below the heater box and into the instrument.

Please note that I converted the car to RHD when I restored it so that might not be exactly the same as original but it works and looks OK.

Ron

My speedo cable............  and goes through a grommet just above the heater pipes.

Thanks Ron...

Is this grommet the same as for the choke and heater cables?  There is also a grommet closer to the battery which is for the wiring loom..... I assume it is not this one.

Jim

Jim

A couple of points which may help.

Moss sell two different tacho cables;one is 'easyfit', i.e. about four inches longer!  I bought one, but the fit to the distributor thread was not good and I had to use mole grips to tighten up sufficiently for a good job.

Second point.

On fitting a new speedo cable I found it more efficient to fit the dial end first and make sure I had a good tight screw fit, then fit the gearbox end.  This was because the amount of play with the box end fitted first was hardly enough to manipulate a proper job on the dial end with all the assorted dash parts in situe.  I couldn't get the finger pressure on the knurled screw.

Good fitting

Phil Rylance

If you have an original pattern (length) Tacho cable, the route it takes around the heater ducting before going through the blukhead is critical otherwise cable appears to be too short - but it will fit once you get it right.

Also, make sure you get the distributor in the correct position, it's all too easy to get it one tooth out, with similar results.