Remote Oil filters

I'm asking more out of interest really as I already have a spin on adapter which works pretty well, but sometimes thought that a remote oil filter with really easy access might be nice, although perhaps there is not really the room in a 3A engine bay to make it worth the effort.

Any opinions? Any one tried it, using one?

Mychael

Mycael, as you haven't any responses, I can chip in some "slightly-related" experience. The remote filter was very popular on the Miata, because the oil filter was IMPOSSIBLE to get to. This was because the engine was designed as a transverse engine (for small sedans with front-wheel drive), and with its fore-and-aft mounting in the Miata, it was not conducive to such things as filter changes. Of course, the extra tubing required additional oil, but the rig was very satisfactorily designed to fit high up on the passenger side of the firewall.

So, in this context, I am curious as to why you want to do it. Compared to the modern engines, access to the filter on a TR3 is a PIECE OF CAKE. Died and gone to heaven!

Also, I am curious as to what location you have picked out. I realize that there are MANY setups in the TR3s, with the various arrangements of the starter solenoid/control box area, the optional windshield washer bottle installation, and a few more variables.

Good luck - let us know what you decide. Also, is there a ready-made kit available, or is this something that you are going to "jury rig"?

Mycael, as you haven't any responses, I can chip in some "slightly-related" experience.

So, in this context, I am curious as to why you want to do it. Compared to the modern engines, access to the filter on a TR3 is a PIECE OF CAKE. Died and gone to heaven!

Also, I am curious as to what location you have picked out. I realize that there are MANY setups in the TR3s, with the various arrangements of the starter solenoid/control box area, the optional windshield washer bottle installation, and a few more variables.

Good luck - let us know what you decide. Also, is there a ready-made kit available, or is this something that you are going to "jury rig"?

Hi George,

Well I asked the question out of curiosity. So no, have not picked out a location, no idea if there are ready made kits or how any jury rigged systems might be set out. I do have pretty good access with my spin on adapter kit but was asking the question to see if there were any benefits of a remote set up.

Mychael