TR6 Seats

Guest Neil Greig

Guest Neil Greig
Hi all -as a newcomer this has probably been done to death but help!!! I`ve seen MX5 seats being reccomended as replacements for the TR6 - are there any others. I`ve measured up MGF and MR2 seats both would appear to fit (the MGF ones `look right`) - any suggestions or experience?

Hi Neil,

Yes this subject is a bit stale, but don't worry mate, you won't be the last person who wants to change seats from the originals to something more spinal friendly.

I've just had MX5 seats fitted and they are the business.

Good back and side support plus fitted headrests.

The MK1 seats are the ones to go for.

If you search back through the older postings you will find details of where to buy the seats and where to buy the required runners to support the seats.

In comparison a new set of seats, with headrests for the TR6 cost around £650 from Moss Europe, whereas a pair of MX5 seats will put you back £150 plus £50 for the runners.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest neilamc

I acknowledge that this is a stale subject but I have been offered two 1998 Mk1 MX5 black cloth seats from a breaker. Price £210 including delivery and presumably runners. There is a photo and they look a little worn at the edges but generally ok.

Richard, are you talking about new seats here?  Leather?

Does anyone know what sort of price I should expect?

Thanks

Neil

Neil, sorry to be late answering. £210 for 2 seats is about right, perhaps a bit OTT, but I don't think the MX5 runners will fit. You need specially engineered adaptor plates to seat the seats. Send me an e-mail at my e-mail address and I'll give you the name of the guy who supplied my seats and the address of the guy who makes the special runner brackets.

My seats cost around £150 and they are velour with leatherish backs and adjustable headrests, and they were in susperb nick when I bought them. Piece of advice, go see them before you buy. I picked the best of a bunch and some admittedly were tatty so view and choose before  coughing up, ebven if it means a drive. I picked my 2 seats up ina Saxo with room to spare.

PS> All leather seats will put you back £300, least thats my estimation...:P

Neil

I installed MR2 seats in my TR4A which has similar internal dimensions to the TR6.  I got these from Ebay for £80 and they fit pretty well although the hood frame is a bit tight. I welded some steel plate on to the existing MR2 runners and used the original fixing points on the TR floor.

The advantage over MX5 seats is that you can remove the headrests easily enabling you to retain the existing tonneau cover without  having to sew pockets into it for the top of the seats.

£210 is WAY over the top on price!.  I bought a pair of mk2 MX5 seats [which have removeable headrests for the tonneau] for £100 all in.......but removed them myself from a scrap [only 30k mile] MX5.  30min job! They were in superb condition [black cord upholstery]. However, to match my TR colour scheme I have had them re-upholstered in cream leather..  Personally I think the mk 2 seats look better than the fixed headrest types, which are a bit "heavy" looking.  The runners are all the same.  I have the diagram for the floor brackets [thanks Richard] and am having them made locally.

Ref Neil and  MGF seats.......I tracked down a place that refurbised those, but the price was mind-boggling!