Hey Menno,

The reason that the left and front walls are so clean, I took down my license plate collection and sold it. I had about 440 plates, one from every year that Route 66 was in existence, for all 8 states. I am a Route 66 buff. After I had my heart attack, I got to thinking about my "estate," and realized that my family would have no idea what to do with those plates. So, I sold them thru ALPCA. I took a real bath on them, but the market was down.

As for the rest of my garage, I have always been a neat freak. I made the mistake once of peg-boarding all three walls of my garage, and hung up every dang tool I owned. When I got finished, I couldn't find a damn thing! All I accomplished was letting my neighbors walk by and see what they could borrow. Lesson learned.

This is the first place I have lived where we don't get a winter freeze, and I was going to tile my garage floor in black and white and red checker-board. The cost was prohibitive, but the preparation work on the floor was INCOMPREHENSIBLE!! I had planned on cleaning it and painting it next week when my brother-in-law gets here, but it is just too hot; it would probably kill us both.

I wish I still had all my framed Triumph advertisements and memorabilia. At my wife's garage sales, people would tell me that my garage looked better than their living rooms!!

I sold it all on eBay in about 2000, when I thought that I would never be able to swing getting another TR3. Well, my dream never died, and I bounced back! :lol::lol::lol:

Nice story about the plates! Would have loved to see that collection.

I think a lot of us are setting off with the same goal: Okay, new garage, let's keep this one clean'... I did too 5 years ago. But over the years I'm getting more and more parts for my cars. Even today there's a partly dismantled engine of a Saab standing in the corner of my garage.

Last week I was watching the movie Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood. In this movie he owns a house with a large garage in the garden. Part of the movie is about having and using proper tools for various jobs. The set dressers of the movie assembled a fantastic tool collection and put them on the wall. Just the way any of us should do.

I buy tools every time I need something. I hate to borrow or rent tools. Apart from very large of special tools (like carpet removing machines etc) I just go out and buy them. Tools are like Lego (the build toys we all had when we were kids): you always need more Lego! You're always a few pieces short of a perfect build!

Last year I bought an old Saab from a guy who was very ill, unable to pick up the restoration of his car again. He also had a great tool collection. We talked about his tool collection. When I collected the car and parts, he also handed me about half his tool collection, knowing that he would be unable to use them again. I can tell you, it brought tears to both our eyes! Tools somehow, tend to develop an emotional value.

Back on topic, I think I figured out what the No Lucas sign means. Is it because the Myiata comes without Lucas electrics?

Menno

Also seems to have a rather nice looking non-standard exhaust on the 3A too.

Regards

Peter

Peter, that is the Monza exhaust. The PO got it at Moss, as he did most of the aftermarket items on the car (exhaust, Moto Lita steering wheel, chrome pots that I replaced, new convertible top, Dayton 60-spokes, et al).

Menno, here is a photo of the 400+ Route 66 license plates. A little overkill, but it was my hobby. When I just moved in, I was hanging them up, and neighbors were walking by thinking, "oh god, what kind of maniac is THIS guy?" Well, they found out!

George