Tyres, Again!

Hi all

I was in getting my tyres balanced and the tyre fitter said I should consider the age of the tyres and think about getting new ones at some stage.

They are Vredestein 185x70 SR 15 89S. They apparently were manufactured in 1996 and although have a little wear are still looking in good condition.

Advice please. Is a thirteen year old tyre in good condition a concern?

As regards new tyres I looked at the many threads on this site and as a start I have decided to run again with 185x70 on 15" wire rims.

Choice appears limited in that size.

So far I can find Vredestein Sprint Classic at about 100£ + Vat + fitting etc no doubt.

Also Avon CR6ZZ at about £160 ++

There appears to be a Michelin XWX VR. Cannot find cost yet.

Have not found out about any others yet in that size.

Any wisdom? Seems to be costly but you get what you pay for?

Incidently, Car is moderately tuned. Stage 2 head, sprint cam twin webbers. I suppose fast road use.

Thanks

John

John get rid of the old tyres. My 5 had 6 year old goodyear grand prix S which delaminated and caused a spin on a wet roundabout at about 22 mph.

subsequently my tyre chap said this is a common poblem with classic cars which do a low mileage. I have now resolved to change all tyres at 3 years irrespective of condition & tread.

Hi John,

I'm not being rude or sarcastic, but have you tried looking in Search ?

There have been literally dozens of lengthy discussions on tyres in recent years, and I think most of the regulars on this Forum are probably more than tired of going over the same old ground. Just about every possible question and answer relating to TR tyres is there if you look for it. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Alec

I concur, no more than 5 years for any brand, even Vreds.

Badfrog

PS: no more than 8 years for con rods, either.

Boy, am I funny tonite.

John...Always good to debate tyres (and oil!). I'm sure all the "experts" here will recommend you change tyres of that age. I recently changed circa 1982 vintage Pirelli Cinturato and Michelin XZX tyres on my TR4A: they looked fine...but 25 years is a long time! I bought Vredestein Classics online (late May 09 £55 each or so) from Camskill and took them to Magowans who fitted and balanced them for £7 each.

Ed

Hi John

The reason the tyres you are looking for are limited in choice is because of the 70 profile.

As long as you're not competing in road rally where 70 profile is stipulated go for 65s, there is a far bigger choice vredestein sportrack 3 for instance... 195/65/15s got these on mine. I think about £50 ish each?

Take a look http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html. This compares original tyre size to what you are contemplating fitting.

I think originally your tyre size was 165 / 80/ 15 so your 185 70 15 are a good compromise.

A 195/65/15 is another close match although 6 inch wheels might be recommended to fit these.

Vredestein within the classic range do 70 and 80s (If a profile is not shown on a tyre it will be an 80 profile or thereabouts)

Badfrog likes the original size of tyres, I like the wider profiles... I wonder which ones are best?

I guess theres only one way to find out.... fight!!!

Hope this helps

Cheers

Darren

Thanks everybody.

I shall let you know what I end up with

John

Hi John,

Regret I have only just picked up your thread - I wouldn't dare advise you on which make of tyres as its a very personal thing. However, there is a very useful thing called 'Car Bibles' with info on tyres and they recommend you don't use tyres above six years old.

You and some other members might find it interesting. www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

Regards

Geoff

Thanks everybody.

I shall let you know what I end up with

John

Hi John,

Regret I have only just picked up your thread - I wouldn't dare advise you on which make of tyres as its a very personal thing. However, there is a very useful thing called 'Car Bibles' with info on tyres and they recommend you don't use tyres above six years old.

You and some other members might find it interesting. www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

Regards

Geoff