Gearbox Mainshaft

Does anyone know of a method to remove the gearbox mainshaft from the rear bearing, i'm stripping a saloon box for the shaft to do an overdrive conversion. The input shaft came out easy enough and I made a removal tool from a description on the Buckeye Triumph site but this hasn't worked as i'm afraid of stripping the rear bolt threads in the box if I put too much force on it. Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

From what I remember... (I'm sure others will confirm) once the input shaft is removed (and making sure the layshaft was dropped well clear of any gears) you can use a hammer and block of wood to drift the mainshaft (forward) out of the rear bearing. I think there's a circlip on the mainshaft to the rear of the bearing to remove first.

The bearing can then 'simply' be levered out of the gearbox casing with a couple of large flat blade screwdrivers or more likely drifted out from inside the box using a long screwdriver or punch - but careful you don't chip any gears or damage the surface of the housing.

Once this is done the mainshaft complete with gearset can pushed rearwards and lifted (front first) out of the casing.

Cheers,

Ben

Does anyone know of a method to remove the gearbox mainshaft from the rear bearing, i'm stripping a saloon box for the shaft to do an overdrive conversion. The input shaft came out easy enough and I made a removal tool from a description on the Buckeye Triumph site but this hasn't worked as i'm afraid of stripping the rear bolt threads in the box if I put too much force on it. Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers

Jerry