I have a 1971 tr6 pi with lucas pump.I am looking at fitting a bosch pump.I haved looked at various posts and it appears 3 different types are used.Could someone please suggest which pump would be the best to use and also which filters.Also as I believe these pumps do not work on suction,would it be better to mount pump in spare tyre well.I would also like to thank everyone who replied to my last post .

It's perhaps worth bearing in mind that German car manufacturers tended to mount high pressure Bosch pumps as low as possible, as in the underside of the floor pan.

Presumably they had their reasons, as in giving the fuel supply a decent head.

If you look at 1980's injected Quattros, the tank is over the rear axle and the pump underfloor alongside the n/s sill. Try feeding the pump from a tank lower in the boot and it simply doesn't work - nor if you try transfering the pump from underfloor to within the boot, feeding from the original tank.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Bertty

I have enclosed a copy of an article, from one of the Redrose news letters from a few years ago. I hope that it is of some use to you and that all the information is still releven, and the prices quoted may now be higher.

Mike G

-TR 5/6 Petrol Injection – Fuel Pumps-

The fuel injection system on these cars uses the Mk 2 Lucas pump, which through the pressure relief valve ( PRV ) maintains a fuel line pressure of 106/110 lb/ sq in. This supply then passes via a vacuum controlled shuttle type Metering unit to the Injectors with an opening pressure of 40/50 lb/ sq in.

The Lucas pump is said to be unreliable, overheating and cavitating being the problem. There are however Red Rose Members who remain loyal to the Lucas pump and have toured Europe with it. David Rhodes is one person who springs to mind. I think the problem is really the age of the pumps and the number of times that they have been overhauled.

The failsafe route is to fit a Bosch pump. The question is then which one, how does it fit, where can it be purchased, and what will it cost.

Bosch have rationalised their range and the choice appears to be between :-

a) 0 580 254 909 Universal Fit

B) 0 580 254 996 Direct Fit

The flow rates for both these pumps is in excess of 90 litres/hour.

The 996 pump is usually the one supplied with the kits available from such as :-

TRGB £259 inc vat

TR Bitz £194 -

Moss £264 -

Pumps can be purchased separately one source being Camco Fuel Injection Supplies, Unit129, Hoyle Street, Warrington, WA5 5LR. Tel 01925 455688.

a) 909 pump £85 inc vat

B) 996 - £135 -

The original fuel filter can be retained or replaced with a Fram filter of similar capacity such as G 6400 , which is easily fitted, more compact, easier to change, costs less than £10, and can be fixed anywhere convenient using an ignition coil type bracket.

The Bosch pump relies on gravity feed to the input and whilst one may come across many different locations the most popular is in the front LH corner of the spare wheel well care being taken to retain clearance between the pump and spare wheel. To mount the pump another coil type bracket is needed and a flexible mounting such as rubber bobbins or exhaust hanger strapping of about 10 mm thickness. The supply side uses normal petrol pipe, but it is essential that high pressure petrol pipe is used ( £1 / foot ) from the pump to the PRV, and it is recommended that the connections be crimped, although in most of the conversions I have seen Jubilee Clips (or double Jubilee Clips) have been used. If the fuel return from the PRV is fed back to the filter this needs re-routing using a T piece to feed back into the tank with the return from the Metering unit. If the original filter is being retained the former PRV connection will require blanking off.

In the Moss parts catalogue on page 45 there is a fuel flow diagram and extensive narrative on a Bosch conversion.

Terry Pruce from the Leicester Group who borrowed Mike Gaskells spare pump ( 0 580 254 980 ) has now successfully used the current equivalent in the range of Universal pumps ( 0 580 254 909 ) and reported his experiences in TR Action 173. It must be said that Mikes pump was considered by Pumfords to be only just up to the job, but Roger Dyson used it to get back from Spain, and that, with the experiences of Terry Pruce, and the fuel flow figures supplied by Bosch , would seem to contradict their opinion.

So what does one do? The easy option is to buy a kit costing £200/250 , which can go as far as including pump, filter, hoses, and clamps. The cheapest option is the Universal pump 0 580 254 909 at £85 plus a small cost for the ancillaries.

There are many other reference numbers for “ older “ Bosch pumps which are suitable.

Edited by Mike G