Lucas 25D distributor

I am looking to purchase some spares for my distributor.

Apparently, a TR4 should have a Lucas 25D part number 40795. My car has a part number 41173, which according to the results of an internet search, is from a Rover 2000.

What are the typical differences between the various different versions of the 25D? Are the parts such as rotor arm, points and condenser common to all Lucas 25D's?

Regards,

Lee TR4

Hi Lee,

I have not had a Rover distributor apart but the differences are usually:

1. The amount of advance. (which can be changed by filing or adding metal)

2. The springs which control when the advance happens (these can be changed)

3. Some people say the bob weights can change but I have not come across this

4. The vacuum advance unit

I would expect the rotor arm, points and condenser to be the same.

Hope this helps

Steve

My Website

Hi Lee

I'd agree with Ian.

I sent our distributor to Martin Jay (Distributor Doctor) and he did a superb job.

Our dizzy was from an MG it transpired, and the advance curve was all to cock. When set correctly and Martin even stamped the dizzy up with the correct date stamp the engine response was transformed.

Cheers

Darren

I'd heard many positive things about a certain UK distributor guru, and had him build me a new distributor over the winter with the correct build date for my TR4. It looked great, and I finally installed it yesterday (warmer weather), but could not get the rotor pointed at the Number 1 sparkplug with the engine at TDC on the compression stroke. The drive dog had been installed 180 degreees out. I checked it against the distributor I had removed, which I knew was working. Shipping it back to the UK was out of the question, since the shipping cost is exorbitant, so I was none too pleased <_< . I was able to remove the roll pin and reinstall the drive dog correctly.

I guess none of us is perfect, but I'm glad I caught it before firing her up. As I've said before, my experience with parts is that about 50% of them work out of the box - even from the best of suppliers. Always have a shop manual handy.