PI running better with air manifold off

Have driven the car for the last three days with over 500km's in total. Noticed as of the 1st of these three days that the car was picking up much better, livelier, smoother. The car is leaking some oil at the head gasket so decided to open up the bonnet and check whether things are worsening. Noticed that the hose had come off the air manifold. Which made me wonder whether this was the reason why the car drove so much better (IMHO).

Be no means I want to have a streetracer but have no fetish for originality either, so what options are preferred. Saw 2 different types of K&N filters at Rimmer's, any other ideas, suggestions, experiences to share?

Edited by jobster
Be no means I want to have a streetracer but have no fetish for originality either, so what options are preferred. Saw 2 different types of K&N filters at Rimmer's, any other ideas, suggestions, experiences to share?

Most cars have a little HP more with removed inlet filters.

I would fit a clean new original filter first and see how that works.

A wide range of parts is available at Jasper Beukenkamp in Boskoop, no fancy store but good advise.

I would not fit anything to the manifold that takes hot air from alongside the engine.That will lead to a loss of power.Triumph and a lot of other sporting car manufacturer's go to great lengths to get cold, dense air to the intake.Hence the elaborate ducting assembly from the inlet manifold to the front of the car.

Are you sure the cold start linkage is fully going to "off" -with clearance at the metering unit.

Regards,