Re-visiting wheels fouling suspension

Just a note to qualify some excellent tips in previous threads about wider/replacement wheels fouling on the top wishbones.

If you are about to buy minilites or similar this might also be of interest.

I purchased actual minilites 15x6... and yes as described by many, in full lock they touch the sharp edge of the top wishbone in both locks. (I tested on axle stands before I went anywhere so no damage done)

I liked the solution which Richard Crawley subscribed to, in that he had ground the tips off the wishbone where they foul the inner rim in full lock. However, I thought the easiest and quickest solution would be to buy some 6.38mm spacers and just bolt the wheel straight on.

On popping the spacers on they do indeed solve the problem. Unfortunately they also create two further problems.

1. They wheels noticeably stick out too far, aesthetically its just wrong.

2. More importantly, even with new studs, only about 4mm of thread is secured by the wheel nuts.

I took the wheels and spacers off again and not having a spare disc for my grinder reached for the junior hacksaw. It took all of 10 mins to neatly cut the very tip off both sides of the wishbone which is the smallest amount. In no way does it weaken the integrity of the component.

On testing again the rim clears in both locks, job done. I might just flip the bolt around as described in the earlier thread as the nut only has about a 1mm clearance when in hard lock.

In my opinion this is the easiest solution and less radical than fitting spacers.

Cheers

Darren